IMPORTANT - Coronavirus Update Letter
18th March 2020
I wanted to write to keep you updated with things we have put in place in school to try to provide the highest quality of education whilst being able to keep your children, families and staff, safe and healthy.
What’s the current situation?
Our school remains open – this is the current official guidance we’ve been given.
On 16.3.20, Prime Minster Boris Johnson announced significant new measures:
• Anyone with a fever (temperature of 37.8 or above) or persistent cough should stay at home for seven days if they live alone or 14 days if they live with others. Anyone who lives with someone displaying Coronavirus symptoms should also stay at home for 14 days. People who have to isolate themselves should ask others for help
• Everyone should stop non-essential contact with others. This is particularly important for people over 70, those with underlying health conditions and pregnant women
• People should work from home where they can
• People should avoid places like pubs, clubs and theatres. This applies especially to those in London which is "a few weeks ahead" of the rest of the UK
• People should stop all unnecessary travel
• By the weekend, those with the most serious health conditions should be largely shielded from social contact for 12 weeks.
If your child is unwell, report this as you would normally by either phoning or emailing Admin@stjosephs.derby.sch.uk Please try to email or call before 8.25am on the day of your child’s absence.
What we’re doing to protect and support pupils and staff
- As well as our standard cleaning procedures, our cleaning priority is ensuring that we keep frequently touched objects and surfaces clean. We have ensured that cleaning materials meet the suggested recommendations.
- All children and staff are expected to wash their hands as they enter school, before and after break/lunch, and before leaving school at the end of the day.
- We have asked that children bring their own water bottles that are washed at home daily.
- There will be no bagels in the mornings for the time being.
- There will be no Acts of Worship or assemblies – these will take place in classes.
- Year 5 swimming has now been cancelled for the foreseeable future.
- The Parents’ Evenings that were due to take place next week and the week after will be postponed until next term.
Please use the latest NHS advice regarding the Coronavirus. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
See also advice about staying at home https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice/
What if school closes?
This would happen if we were instructed to by the Prime Minister and we would then follow directions from the Trust. The only reason the school would close other than this is if staff numbers were so reduced, it would put the safety of pupils at risk – this would again be discussed with the Trust.
If the school were to close, staff will set work for the children to do. Some of this work will be paper based and sent home. Other tasks will be accessed through a number of ways online:
The school website, within ‘Children’ > ‘Class Pages’ – https://www.stjosephscatholicpri.co.uk/
Times Table Rock stars - https://ttrockstars.com/
Grammar – www.spag.com
Key Stage 2 only – school email
We will use the school website to send any updates – these will be found in the ‘Latest News’ section. Please remember that you can download the app for the website for free. In the App Store, search ‘The School App’ > follow the on screen instructions.
As always, thank you for your support and understanding at this challenging time for all of us.
Acting Head of School